We're all about being mindful. From the way we eat to the way we impact the earth, being mindful is the only way we as a society can survive on this planet.
We're going to be bringing you different ways to become more mindful, and today we're starting with the most important part... YOU! Because we're all selfish by nature, that's how we've survived. Your health is therefore most important. So let's begin, with 8 simple tips to begin your mindful journey of health. Spoiler alert: It's not all about the food. I know, a healthy snacking company saying it's not all about the food?! We must have ulterior motives or something, right? Nope. We just care. So in case nobody else tells you today that they care about you, well, we do. We care about you.
Okay. Let's begin!
8 Simple Steps to Begin Your Mindful Journey: Your Health
- Quit soda. Our nutritionist could do a whole blog post on this. Simply put, it sabotages your health journey in so many ways (and yes, even diet soda!). Why would we attack diet soda? Here's our opinion. You drink soda to feed your craving for soda, which is actually a craving for sugar (despite how you may rationalize this to yourself). When you fill that craving with something that it artificially sweet, without any actual sugar, it feeds the sugar monster even more by leaving him empty. Leaving your body confused and craving more sugar. Sugar is a slippery slope, and as soon as you give in once, your body will crave more. Plus enamel erosion, gastrointestinal distress, burbs and farts. Yup. We went there. How awkward is it when someone burbs in a meeting? Let's ban all soda from meeting rooms, please. I don't want to smell what you ate for lunch before you downed that diet soda thinking it made you healthy.
- Cut out mindless snacking. We snack for three main reasons: Nourishment, Optimization, and Pleasure. Before you mindlessly snack, think for just a second about which reason you're snacking. Everything that goes in your body should serve a purpose. Food choices that are nutrient dense AND taste delicious will help you with all three of those reasons why we snack . Lucky you, we got your covered at EVOLVE Brands with Supernola and Gorilly Goods.
- Eat the rainbow. Make your plate pretty and eat a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables each day to get the needed vitamins and minerals that our bodies deserve. Get playful with your food! Try getting as many colors as you can on that plate.
- Movement – we aren’t suggesting that everyone needs to run a marathon – your body just needs to move -- walking, biking, yoga, climbing a tree with your kids or simply taking the stairs vs the elevator. Make it fun! We detox naturally through our sweat – get moving and get your sweat ON!
- Get at least 7-8 hours of “patterned” sleep nightly – Sleeping is one of the ways that your body recovers from damage and protects itself against illness. Make this a priority! One of our favorite tips to help you fall asleep is to make a 'sleep playlist' of relaxing music that you are likely to fall asleep to. Listen to it every night until you fall asleep. After a while, your body will learn to fall asleep to your playlist, and it will be much easier for you to fall asleep.
- Drink water!!! This one is important – the standard is ½ your body weight in ounces – more if you are working out, drinking coffee/tea or sweat a lot! So simple but so hard to accomplish. Get a cool water bottle and start drinking. All parts of your body including your skin will thank you!
- 80/20 rule – No one is perfect, and we shouldn’t strive for that! Give yourself a break – it’s ok to indulge once in awhile!
1. MOST IMPORTANTLY – It is not all about the food. Many times the ‘diet’ we need to be on is a spiritual and emotional one. So take care of yourself. Be cautious with what you feed your mind and soul. More to come….